Tuesday, December 19, 2006

"There's a LOT of boxes...."

Tragedy and comedy swirl together in our lives like brackish and clear water mixing together at the mouth of a river. Sometimes they exist in frighteningly close proximity.

A friend's mother passed away suddenly and unexpectedly right before Christmas. The father passed away just this past Thanksgiving. The family is, of course quite devastated.

I called soon after I received word and offered to do ANYTHING - especially since we live very close to their house.

"We do have some furniture boxes that need to be taken to the front of the house for trash pickup"

"DONE" I said. "I will make sure it's taken care of". I was talking to the wife on the cell phone in the car as they were headed out of town to the airport. I heard the husband say in the background "tell him there's a LOT of boxes....".

Later that day, I started to leave my house at 4 PM to move the boxes - prior to the evening's social engagement. As soon as the door closed, I realized that I locked myself out of the house. I started reviewing options. I had no cell phone, no car keys. I had plenty of options for getting into the house, all of which involved a subsequent home repair. "Well, Kevin is coming here in 1 hour. I can clean up the garage and enjoy the afternoon air" - which was quite lovely for December. I also was able to spend time working out plot issues for a short story I am writing.

Kevin showed up right on time. We went to pick up Jared at his office. Fortunately, Jared still had the key to my house in his drawer I had given him before our trip to Italy. Providence....

We had a delightful time at the Flying Saucer and were blessed with the presence of Rev Al. A great time was had by all.

On the way home, I asked Kevin and Jared "How would you boys like to help me? We have a service project to perform". We were pretty mellow at that point. Sure, why not?

So we went to the house with the boxes, since they had to be on the street before the next morning. When we got there, there were 7 or 8 VERY VERY LARGE boxes, all FILLED with cardboard and styrofoam packing material. We stand there and look at each other. Holy shit.

"Options?"

Can't put it on the street like this. Must cut boxes down and put packing in bags. Where to get bags? I have contractor bags at my house. NO - KROGERS is virtually across the street!

So, we get back in Kevin's truck and roll over to Krogers. Bag aisle, bag aisle - where's the bag aisle? Oooh, beer aisle. No, stay focused, people.

We find a box of fourteen 45 gallon contrator bags. "This BETTER be enough."

So we go back and Kevin starts cutting and Jared and I start stuffing and stuffing and stuffing.

"Is this stuff reproducing in the back yard??" I ask as I flop open the 9th 45 gallon bag.

I can't exactly remember the dialogue, but I just remember laughing a lot - rather loudly - and wondering how long it was going to be until the neighbors called the police to come see what the HELL was going on at this house. At the time, I actually looked forward to saying "Officer, we're on a mission from God..."

It turns out that we filled all 14 of the contractor bags - well, there was some room left in the last one.

As I look back, I see a mini-parable of life. Tragedy and comedy in such close juxtaposition. Stopping at nothing to serve friends we dearly love. Plans thwarted that led to a much better result. Working together with friends FAR better than working alone. God looking at us and shaking His head, but smiling nonetheless.

2 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Blogger Miranda said...

Welcome to the bloggoshpere. I have started a blog ring for presbyies and thought that you might be interested. If only for your own personal reading. Check us out. Presbyterian Bloggers.

 
At 7:16 AM, Blogger nikki said...

As my BFF is fond of saying, "If there is one thing I know, it is God loves a good joke."
I am sure God was smiling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home